occ6.5.3 BRepAlgoAPI_Cut gives wrong result

I also found that BRepAlgoAPI_Cut code used to work for occ6.5.2, now using it with occ6.5.3 we have several testcases fail. It sends the shapes into the cutter, and did return a resultant shape, however, the BRepGProp::VolumeProperties(final_shape, myProps) returns myProps.Mass() = 0, which means the subject is gone after cut, which is wrong in many of our testcases.

I am not sure if the return shape is correct, just the volume property didn't get updated correctly or the return shape is wrong already, as in Timo's thread


Forum supervisor's picture

Dear Jane Hu,
You also are welcome to register the issue in Mantis Bugtracker which is available via the Collaborative portal - http://dev.opencascade.org/index.php?q=home/get_involved.
Don't forget to put a data allowing to reproduce your case.

Jane Hu's picture

Dear Forum Supervisor:

I've registered in the new website, however, it didn't grant me the right to report bugs.

Here, I attach 2 brep files, one contains a block, the other contains a sphere. They intersect each other. I want to use the box to cut the sphere, leaving part of the sphere as a result.

I used occ6.5.3, BRepAlgoAPI_Cut function, giving the from_shape as the sphere, and the tool_shape as the block. It returns a circular surface, instead of a solid.

This didn't happen in occ6.5.2 version.

Thanks for investigating it.


Jane Hu's picture

Another file is attached here. Thanks.

Pawel's picture

There's been the following fix integrated into the master branch this Monday:

* 0023374: BOP Common between a sphere and a box gives wrong result

I haven't compiled it yet but it might address the issue.


Forum supervisor's picture

Dear Jan Hu,
I would like to inform you that:
- the bug is reproduced in OCCT 6.5.3;
- the problem does not reproduced in current Git master
(most likely Pawel is right that it was fixed by #23374);
- anyway registering an issue in Mantis would be useful as it would gave one more test case
- I suggest you to contact Bugmaster via "Contact Us" form on dev portal in case of any problems using Mantis. He will help you with pleasure.

Jane Hu's picture

Thank you for both Pawel and Forum supervisor. I've downloaded the fix and verified it works.

I have another bug related to Unite operation, in which a wheel is cut into two parts, and now I want to unite them into a wheel. The boolean operation gives a part of the wheel's surface as the result of the boolean, which is obviously wrong. But seems a lot like this Cut problem where a surface is returned for a solid.

I am wondering if there's a fix for it too.

Here I attach both the parts and 'unite' fails.

Jane Hu's picture

please see the following thread for the models that reproduce the problem.