Total Engineer - a new OCC-based CAx platform

Hi everybody,

after continuously postponing the release date of Total Engineer I have finally managed to compile a version which can be downloaded at:

The software is an platform which can easily be extended using scripts (C# or VB.NET). I wrote a small manual and some sample scripts in case anyone would want to try.

I'm very interested about your feedback!


Kazumasa Uno's picture

Well, teApp.exe display the following error message dialog.

TEApp_nat.dll not found!

Can't find native library! Please install the native libray to your local director or to your system(32) directory.

The OS Windows Vista may be the cause of the trouble?

Pawel's picture

Hello Kazumasa,

to tell the truth I don't think it's a Vista issue. I tested on Vista and it was OK. But it definitely has something to do with file access.

My advice:
- make sure you run teApp.bat
- in case this doesn't help - copy the whole installed directory in some other location (where you have write access) and start teApp.bat from there - this should always work.

Hope it helps.

Kazumasa Uno's picture

Hello Pawel.

Thank you for your appropriate advice.
Copying the installed folder to desktop makes it go further.
but the same error with Mr.Paul has occured after logo window disappeared.

Paul Jimenez's picture

"A procedure imported by 'shell, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' could not be loaded. The application will now close."

Windows XP Professional SP2 (Dutch).

Pawel's picture

Hi Paul,

if it looks to me like some runtime incompatibility... could be caused by the language version of the used runtime...

I would try running:
and then trying to run the application (teApp.bat).

Hope this helps.

Paul Jimenez's picture

Here's the error from the TraceTool:

3724 10:01:19:234 Problem updating localized GUI.
System.Resources.MissingManifestResourceException: Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture (or the neutral culture) on disk.
baseName: resource locationInfo: fileName: resource.resources
at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents)
at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents)
at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents)
at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetString(String name, CultureInfo culture)
at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetString(String name)
at TE.TEForms.TEMainForm.SwpUqucWE()
at TE.TEForms.TEMainForm.GlobalizeApp(String cultureString, String resourceBaseName, String path)

Re-installing .NET and MSVC runtime do not seem to help.

Pawel's picture

Hi Paul, hi Kazumasa,

first of all, thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate this.

This issue seems to be related to regional settings of your computer. TE supports three culture settings : en-US, de-DE, pl-PL. The standard one is en-US. At the moment I can suggest two methods which will hopefully work for you:

1) TE writes a settings file TEOptions.config into the user data directory (e.g. c:\Users\Pawel\AppData\Roaming\TotalEngineer - on Vista or c:\documents and settings\Pawel\Application Data\TotalEngineer on XP). Try set the following entries:
Culture Culture="en-US"
2) If you have the possibility try to change your regional settings so that they correspond to the en-US culture.

Hope this helps.

I will address this issue in the future releases. Thanks

Paul Jimenez's picture

All I got is a file named TELog.xml with the error message I already posted. No config file.

Creating the file with those two lines did not help either.

Pawel's picture

Just a small update.

The reported error has to do with missing resource files indeed. However, it is not critical. So the application should actually run if it was only for this error...

This is quite strange. I had a couple of messages confirming the execution with teApp.bat and I have this...

Copying all dlls/exe into one directory should make the program work (thanks for the suggestion, Carlos). Obviously on some machines there's a problem with setting environmental variables. Actually, the batch file sets all the necessary paths before the %PATH% environment variable so that TE should get what it needs but for some reason it doesn't happen...

I don't know maybe it's some special character in the path that the batch file cannot process... any suggestions are welcome


Dirk B's picture

Hey Pawel!
I installed Total Engineer and ran Creating_a_Tool_Model.cs on Vista. Very interesting. I like it a lot. How do you make the occ functionality available in the scripts?


Pawel's picture

Hi Dirk,

glad to hear you like the app ;)

Total Engineer started as the IE sample from the OCC distribution. So if you look at the sample code you can get the idea how TE is constructed. Basically, I had to write a lot of managed wrappers for the OCC methods (as a consequence, the IE sample was heavily redesigned). It was done manually as the system grew and needed new functionalities.

However, where possible I let the unmanaged code do the job and possibly store the result.

I'm planning to start a website on TE maybe with some interesting scripts. At the moment it's under construction but if there are any tasks you would want to tackle with the scripts let me know.


Pawel's picture

Just another update...

After consulting MSDN I have rearranged the intallation so that all the dlls reside in the application directory. According to MSDN, an interference might occur if any conflicting libraries reside for example in the Windows\System or Windows directory (Carlos, thanks for the discussion once again).

The updated package is ready to download. Hope this helps.