I posted this in the "Data Exchange" projects but it's probably more relevant here (feel free to remove it from there).
Several CAD/CAE packages like GiD are starting to support it. Support for this in OpenCascade would be great.
The openNURBS Initiative provides CAD, CAM, CAE, and computer graphics software developers the tools to accurately transfer 3-D geometry between applications.
The tools provided by openNURBS include:
- A file format specification and documentation.
- C++ source code libraries to read and write the file format. Windows, Windows x64, Mac, and Linux are supported.
- Quality assurance and revision control.
- Various supporting libraries and utilities.
- Technical support.
Unlike other open development initiatives, alliances, or consortia:
- Commercial use is encouraged.
- The tools, support, and membership are free.
- There are no restrictions. Neither copyright nor copyleft restrictions apply.
No contribution of effort or technology is required from the members, although it is encouraged.
Note: openNURBS is an open source toolkit for reading and writing models in the 3DM format. Our full-featured development platform is Rhino.